Natural bug repellents are often safer and more gentle on the skin than chemical-based repellents. Additionally, essential oils like lemon eucalyptus, citronella, and tea tree have been found to be effective at repelling bugs. Witch hazel is a natural astringent that can be added to your natural bug repellent to help the essential oils to stick better to the skin, and also to add an extra layer of protection against bugs.
Here are instructions on how to make a natural bug repellent with doTerra essential oils:
- Gather all the ingredients: distilled water, witch hazel, and your chosen essential oils. Some effective oils for repelling bugs include lemon, eucalyptus, citronella, tea tree, and peppermint.
- You will need a small spray bottle. Fill your spray bottle with equal parts distilled water and witch hazel.
- Add 20-30 drops of your chosen essential oils to the spray bottle.
- Close the spray bottle and shake well to mix the ingredients.
- Spray the mixture on your skin and clothing before going outside.
- Reapply as needed.
It’s important to note that witch hazel can cause skin irritation for some people, so it’s important to do a patch test before using it all over your skin. If you are sensitive to witch hazel, you can skip this step and just use distilled water, but it will make the oil less sticky and might require more reapplication.
Additionally, it’s important to note that while these essential oils are effective in repelling bugs, they may not provide complete protection against all types of bugs and it’s always a good idea to use other preventive measures like wearing long sleeves and pants, avoiding being outdoors during peak bug hours, and using screens on windows and doors.